Dual Degree Programme in Early Childhood and Primary School Education
Profiles of Applicants and Graduates. Career and Academic Opportunities
The recommended profile for people wishing to study for the dual degree programme in Early Childhood and Primary School Education is someone who believes in education as the ideal medium to change individuals’ lives, as well as bringing about change in the development of societies. Students who start this course should be strongly motivated to learn about the teaching and learning processes that are the basis for personal growth among pupils aged 0-12 years old, with whom they will be dealing in the course of their careers.
Future Early Childhood and Primary School Education students must have the following: a wide range of cultural, educational, psychological and social interests; an eagerness to understand human beings to the highest degree possible; and a reasonable belief that educational intervention, in both formal and informal settings, can decisively contribute to people’s wellbeing. The dual degree programme features considerable input in relation to pedagogic theory, didactic specialisation and teaching practice in schools, and requires a significant personal commitment to academic study.
The dual degree programme in Early Childhood Education and Primary School Education enables graduates to work as a teacher in the stage of Early Childhood Education and Primary School Education (0-12 years old) in both state schools and in semi-private and private schools. In addition, the specialism in Modern Languages: English qualifies those graduating from the dual degree programme at University College Alberta Giménez to face the problems and challenges arising from bilingual educational programmes, provided that they fulfil the terms specified in Spanish Royal Decree 1594/2011, of 4 November. Our graduates will be able to teach in three languages (Catalan, Spanish and English) and to:
- Perform teaching-research duties at Early Childhood Education and Primary School level in state-owned and privately-owned educational establishments, with the ability to plan their teaching and manage a classroom in accordance with the institutional approach of the school in which they work.
- Perform management duties at Early Chlildhood and Primary School level in state-owned and privately owned educational establishments, with the ability to plan their teaching and manage a classroom in accordance with the institutional approach of the school in which they work..
- Perform the role of tutor for a group of pupils and cater for diversity.
- Intervene in the teaching-learning process for primary school curricular areas with scientific rigour.
- Participate in planning extracurricular activities.
This qualification enables graduates to practise the regulated profession Early Childhood Education teacher and Primary School Teacher, in accordance with current legislation. It also meets the requirements regarding knowledge of the Catalan language by teachersset by the Government of the Balearic Islands.
Its specialisms, such as English, music education, physical education and educational therapy, are regulated in Royal Decree 1594/2011, of 4 November.