Bachelor’s Degree in Primary School Education
Applicant and Graduate Profiles. Career and Academic Opportunities
The recommended profile for people wishing to study Primary School Education is someone who believes in education as the ideal medium to change individuals’ lives, in addition to bringing about change in the development of societies. Students who start this course should be strongly motivated to learn about the teaching and learning processes that are the basis for personal growth among pupils aged 6-12 years old, with whom they will be dealing in the course of their careers.
Future Primary School Education students must have the following: a wide range of cultural, educational, psychological and social interests; an eagerness to understand human beings to the highest degree possible; and a reasonable belief that educational intervention, in both formal and informal settings, can decisively contribute to people’s wellbeing. The Bachelor’s Degree features significant input in relation to pedagogic theory, didactic specialisation and teaching practice in schools.
The graduate profile for the Bachelor’s degree in Primary School Education is determined by the acquisition of all the general and specific skills described in the course plan for the degree. Graduates will be able to
- Understand in depth the teaching-learning processes for primary school education, reflect on these in a critical manner, design creative ideas and communicate them efficiently.
- Be aware of the importance of generating a sound scientific-cultural foundation, designed to form engaged and democratically-minded citizens.
- Join teams of teachers, contributing their work and skills in developing the educational programme of the primary school.
- Cooperate with families and with other professionals to develop inclusive educational approaches that promote the integral development of all pupils and non-violent coexistence.
- Plan educational action for children aged from 6 to 12 years old with a flexible and autonomous approach geared towards lasting improvement.
- Commit to the learning process of children aged from 6 to 12 years old, and to improving society, and carry out their work on the basis of their ethical commitment.
The Bachelor’s Degree in Primary School Education qualifies graduates to teach all the areas of the curriculum at Primary School level (6-12 years old) at state, semi-private and private schools. In addition, the specialism in Modern Languages: English qualifies those graduating from the Bachelor’s Degree in Primary School Education from University College Alberta Giménez to face the problems and challenges arising from bilingual educational programmes, provided that they fulfil the terms specified in Spanish Royal Decree 1594/2011, of 4 November. Our graduates will be able to teach in three languages (Catalan, Spanish and English) and to:
- Perform teaching-research duties at Primary School level in state-owned and privately-owned educational establishments, with the ability to plan their teaching and manage a classroom in accordance with the institutional approach of the school in which they work.
- Perform management duties at Primary School level in state-owned and privately-owned educational establishments, with the ability to plan their teaching and manage a classroom in accordance with the institutional approach of the school in which they work.
- Perform the role of tutor for a group of pupils and cater for diversity.
- Intervene in the teaching-learning process for primary school curricular areas with scientific rigour.
- Participate in planning extracurricular activities.
This qualification enables graduates to practise the regulated profession of Primary School Teacher, in accordance with current legislation. It also meets the requirements regarding knowledge of the Catalan language by teachersset by the Government of the Balearic Islands.
Its specialisms, such as English, music education, physical education and educational therapy, are regulated in Royal Decree 1594/2011, of 4 November.